Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Got milk?

We are big milk drinkers at the House of M—all five of us. Without exaggeration, we go through about a gallon a day. The California Dairy industry loves us. My kids’ pediatrician not so much, and so I’m continually lying about how much my children consume when paying her office a visit. (Let's quickly point out that lying to your kids’ doctor is really such a smart idea, right?)

“Can you tell me about their diet? What are they eating and drinking?”

“Oh, well my kids drink milk…but, ugh…I usually cut them off at lunchtime…and then I switch to water. So I think it’s only about 15 ounces a day.” Or 30.

“Well, oooookaaaaay, but make sure it stays at that. It’s really important that they get their nutrition from a balanced diet. The calcium is important of course, but they can also get it from leafy greens.”

“You got it.” Fingers crossed behind my back.

Anyway, for this reason above all others I have to make a trip to the store every couple days. There are only so many gallons of milk you can buy in one grocery run without either A) getting REALLY weird looks from your fellow shoppers or B) running out of refrigerator space at home.

Guess what: today we are out of milk. And I’ve got all three of my lovelies home. And it’s raining. And this is what happened the last time I had to take the entire posse to the store with me.


I think it’s time to bring back the milk man.

No comments: